Login    Register

Winter Tyres

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
Winter Tyres

Postby John Mc » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:22 pm

I read that studded tyres were illegal to use if you aren't on ice or snow so general driving in the uk would not really be a good idea with studded tyres...

Which tyres have people used that would be considered good tyres for snow and ice conditions? I read that using summer tyres can mean braking distances 8 times worse than decent winter tyres :shock:

The temperature at which Winter tyres start is less than 7 deg apparently, i read this on a tyre website so don't shoot the messenger :lol:
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby The Swede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Just to get it straight: you are not allowed to run tyres that damage the road and leave traces. Modern studded tyres do not do that, so let's get that urban myth out of the way. I don't know why people keep bringing this up. I put money on it that I'm the only guy in the UK who drove his and Evo or a scoob with studs on over the last 5 years :roll:

Anyway, running studs in the UK is not necessary. They have less grip on normal tarmac than non-studded winter tyres and only give significant more grip on ice (which you never get there).

Wintertyres themselves have significant advantages over summer tyres. I have compared my summer and winter tyres regularly in autumn when it's just raining and cold and with summer tyres, you get much more wheelspin and much less grip than with wintertyres.

True, the downside is that are softer and hence less precise on dry tarmac. But face it, whereas 8 out of 10 boyracers on the scoobie and Evo websites in the UK keep waffling about 'precision' and :blahblah:, most of them never use the friggin' abilities of their cars ! So what's on with this need for "stiff tyres" if you can't use them 250 days per year (because it's raining) and the other days you're a too big sissy or there is too much traffic to do so??

I prefer real world performance and a flexible and predictable tyre is so much more pleasant to drive. At least, you'll be confident keeping your foot down in winter or in wet weather where you'd normally lift off being scared of some poisonous reaction of the car.

I've tried quite a few tyres, especially in Germany (where they are compulsory) and the best ones I've driven are still the Nokians.
The Swede

Postby Chris 280 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:22 pm

sorry for my lack of knowledge but do these tyres fit on the standard rims?cheers
it is better to have had a wr1 and lost it than never to have one at all.
Chris 280

Postby Megaman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Out of interest what winter tyres has anyone else used on their WR1 in wet / snowy conditions?
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby The Swede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 pm

280 wrote:sorry for my lack of knowledge but do these tyres fit on the standard rims?cheers

Yes, of course. You can even have them in 20".

I'd advise against constantly swapping. In the end, it costs you much more than getting a second set of alloys second hand.

I'd get a set of 17" of a Petter Solberg (or get gold coloured ones of an STi and respray them) and use those in winter. The narrower and the higher the tyre, the better it works.

Try the WR G2

http://www.nokiantyres.com/product-group?group=1.01
The Swede

Postby Chris 280 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:47 pm

thanks mate ,i,ll get a price from my local .cheers
it is better to have had a wr1 and lost it than never to have one at all.
Chris 280

Postby The Swede » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:57 pm

280 wrote:thanks mate ,i,ll get a price from my local .cheers

Try mytyres.net and blackcircles also.

In Finland you should be able to get a WR G2 from Vianor for 240 Euros per corner.
The Swede

Postby John Mc » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:40 am

Cheers Swede, useful info. They are quite pricey but I suppose they do a job!! I'm not using mine everyday so not so critical, I would like some more bite though.... at a price I can justify :lol:
[Just incase this gets lost in translation, I am not slandering you, I know people can be sensitive to these harsh words.]
John Mc

Postby CAVEMAN » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:46 am

100% agree with Swede...studs are not required in the UK...and make a heck of a noise anyways!

The winter tyres are actually marked M&S...for Mud and Snow (sorry John not S&M) and are way better for any driving conditions as long as the temps are below 7 degs ish. Otherwise the compound gets too hot and they will degrade sooner.

I have 2 sets of rims, one for summer and one for winter tyres. Otherwise you have to change them everytime and run a greater risk of the tyre monkey marking your wheels during changeover.

Most companies offer the M&S tyres, I am not sure you can get Nokian in the UK - as I tried a couple of years ago. Vredestein SnowTrac are also very good tyres in the winter but right now I have a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta R as these are dedicated for the cold winter and guarenteed snow. The WR G2 is a hybrid that would be perfect choice for UK.
CAVEMAN

Return to General Discussion