Login    Register

it's that age old question, WR1 colour.

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
it's that age old question, WR1 colour.

Postby hoskib » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:35 am

hi there :) post on scoobynet and seen a few peeps putting up a link to here so though i'd venture in!

getting quite tempted by the WR1 and it's standard toys (pre reg 2005 sti is level pegging on the wish list) but i'm afraid it's the colour that's the only doubt with the WR1. not slagging it off at all, it's just i've never seen one in the flesh and every pic of one i've seen the colour looks different.

can anyone post or email me what they consider a photo showing the actual 'real life' colour of the paintwork please?
i imagine it's a bit of a git to get a genuine representation in a photo, but if anyone's got one that's made them think 'that really is what the colour looks like' maybe post it up?

ta :D
hoskib

Postby The Swede » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:43 am

Have a look in the Events areas. Plenty of pics there.

That being said, with it's pink-y shade and pink logos, the Ice Blue looks pretty gay...

That a correct assessment, guys ? Image
The Swede

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:56 am

Hi Hoskib

the colour does have a few haters,
but to me it is why the car was purchased :wink:

Awesome when you get a dozen or more next to each other :D
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:37 am

:toofunny:

Don't worry about my comment, Hoskbab !

I'm just teasing the guys out here.

The colour looks great in R/L ! Especially with the alloys.
The Swede

Postby Gee Wr1 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:38 am

Torrekens wrote:Have a look in the Events areas. Plenty of pics there.

That being said, with it's pink-y shade and pink logos, the Ice Blue looks pretty gay...

That a correct assessment, guys ? Image

:roll: TWAT :lol:
Gee Wr1

Postby Gee Wr1 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:53 am

Hi Hoskib,

For me the colour was the clincher, as you said it's hard to represent it in a photo & we all did just that & bought it from seeing a pic.
It's one of those colours that can look a number of differant shades from silvery to deep blue all depending on the light.
It stands out well in a row of scoobs(see below) & have had very few negative comments most folk who didn't like colour in pics like it in the flesh.
I didn't want to be another Blue mica & gold (not dissing them) seems that most new age sti's are that colour.
I love it & still think it looks so 8)

Oh & the Ladies love it :lol:

Gee Wr1

Postby hoskib » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:29 pm

bloody hell, that's a serious bit of drifting in that bottom pic Gee :wink:

really nice top pic, getting to like the colour even more 8)

really looks a 'clean' car in that colour, shows off all the angles and bulges really well. prefer the spotlights covered as with normal sti, but i guess that's an easy fix!

cheers for the replies guys, will take a look in events.
hoskib

Postby POESY » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:53 pm

I think the wr1 colour is the best for a scoob by miles ...

...2nd, i'd go for white...

... 3rd black...

...and last that wrblue that absolutely everyone goes for :roll: (not really, red would probably be last ... then the blue :wink: )
POESY

Postby The Swede » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:41 pm

:lol2:

Cut the cr@p.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum. :2:
The Swede

Postby The Swede » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Don't be put off by my comments, hoskib. The Ice Blue really looks best for a normal streetgoing Impreza's.

Red is definitely a :nono:.

Take it in black with the Gold wheels and you can join the London suburb gang. The guys who think they are 'racing' their M3's because they can hit 40mph between two traffic-lights. :shake:
Black with grey Profrive alloys is very nice... if you keep it perfectly clean.

White is indeed cool. Just make sure you don't lower it and keep it clean. Makes it look like a Singapore or Dubai streetracer ! OZ wheels and the gravel recce car-look is what you want.

WR Blue indeed far too common in the UK nowadays. If you go for it anyway, make sure it's either mint, perfectly clean and standard looks, or again has good gravel rallycar looks (keeping it dirty helps :rofl:).

If you need help, give my wife a buzz ! :lol:

The Swede

Postby chris » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:58 pm

You've lost me, Swede.

What was it that you were setting out to demonstrate; blue cars with gold wheels are the best choice?
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby The Swede » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:08 pm

:lol2:

No, the fact that discussing which colour is nicest is pointless.

1. Colours are a matter of personal taste (and good it is or we'd all be driving around with the same car).

2. As you can read TWICE here I have said that I think the Ice Blue is the nicest colour in the streetgoing Impreza ! :roll:

3. FYI: I am f***ing colourblind !! :angel:
The Swede

Postby chris » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:14 pm

I found the Ice Blue to look different shades depending on the strength of the light that was on it. I remember looking at it when it was first at the dealers and thinking, why the hell have i spent
chris

Postby hoskib » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:23 pm

swede, i'll have a big bag of whatever you're on. WTF mate?:shock: :wink:

mates got a black 04 sti and it's what i call a showroom car, it looks the bollox in a showroom but get it on the roads and what a git to keep clean :(

if i do end up with a pre reg it seems blue or crystal grey are the only ones left.
anyway this is a WR1 site so enough talk about other sti's :P

been scanning pics on here and on tinternet and what a bloody massive range of colours i've found, looks silver,silver blue,light baby blue and even greeny blue! i do like it though :D :D

a chat with the bank manager may be coming :wink:
hoskib

Postby chris » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:25 pm

hoskib wrote:swede, i'll have a big bag of whatever you're on. WTF mate?:shock: :wink:

mates got a black 04 sti and it's what i call a showroom car, it looks the bollox in a showroom but get it on the roads and what a git to keep clean :(

if i do end up with a pre reg it seems blue or crystal grey are the only ones left.
anyway this is a WR1 site so enough talk about other sti's :P

been scanning pics on here and on tinternet and what a bloody massive range of colours i've found, looks silver,silver blue,light baby blue and even greeny blue! i do like it though :D :D

a chat with the bank manager may be coming :wink:

:thumb:
chris

Postby hoskib » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:29 pm

[quote="chris"]I found the Ice Blue to look different shades depending on the strength of the light that was on it. I remember looking at it when it was first at the dealers and thinking, why the hell have i spent
hoskib

Postby wr1500 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Alot of people have told me that the colour looks girly! i love the colour of my car, as everyone has stated it stands out really well. I never bought mine for the colour, i bought mine for what it was, and now i have it the colour is great which is a bonus!
There can be only WR1!
wr1500

Postby The Swede » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:59 pm

hoskib wrote:swede, i'll have a big bag of whatever you're on.

:thumb:

I'd bring you a big bag of the white powder when I fly back to UK on Tuesday but it's probably all gonna be melted by the time it gets to you... :rofl:

Agree with Chris that a WR1 is the better choice over an 04/05 car.

However, a good, dealer sourced WR1 easily costs more than 22K and the eternal question then is why not pay a few 1000 more and shop around for a new or pre-reg 06 car. You'll get 3 years peace of mind and a car that probably will have a higher residual value in 3 years than a car that will be 5 years old by then. Worth considering.

A Spec C might be nice too. Comes standard with 320bhp and other goodies. Doesn't have a 3 year warranty though.

Get it in silver with the Prodrive alloys and I at least will not be able to tell the difference from a colour point of view :lol:

Good luck with the hunt for your WR1/scoob ! :ok:
The Swede

Postby chris » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:01 pm

[quote="hoskib"][quote="chris"]I found the Ice Blue to look different shades depending on the strength of the light that was on it. I remember looking at it when it was first at the dealers and thinking, why the hell have i spent
chris

Postby The Swede » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:44 am

[quote="chris"]
I did the base STi plus WR1 mods when i ordered mine. I recall there being a
The Swede

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:22 am

welcome Hoskib!!

I've owned the following cars.....

1998 Silver Impreza Turbo 2000
2004 Silver BMW 330Ci
2004 Ice Blue WR1
2001 Black Ferrari 360
2006 Black Impreza WRX SL 2.5

Out of them all the WR1 was

a) the best colour by a long way
b) the best car to drive in terms of performance, noise, grin factor, handling and reliability ... again by a long way
c) my favourite ... by a long way

The colour is absolultely gorgeous, it sets it apart from every subaru on the road. when you leave it in a car park people go and look at it because of the colour ... they've seen the blue and gold wheels done a thousand times and the WR1 just looks different.

If you want a special car then it cannot be beaten. Take it on the road and it will outperform every subaru it comes up against, take it on a track and it will outperform every car on the track, leave it in a carpark and it will be the best looking car there. Drive it and you will be smiling for hours after you've stopped driving it.

All the above is just my opinion on the matter by the way and you will get differing opinions from everybody on here - which is a good thing. However I've made a point of driving every car that I possibly can on road and track and feel able to substantiate what I say with real life experience. You tend to find a lot of people will talk about how a car handles, looks or performs having never driven, seen or ragged one.

Good luck with your search and possible buy matey. :D
Gangsta Smurf

Postby The Swede » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:14 am

Like your point and indeed confirmation: drive the car and see what you like most as each likes something different.

The standard STi, the WR1 and the Spec C are very different cars in many ways.

Don't take the majority's opinion on something for granted.

Worked for a few Belgian car magazines since 1995 and still occasionally write something up. What does irritate me really with the press is how they try to push everyone into the same type of car.

The STi always comes out of a test as uncomfortable, thirsty and fast. So conclusion is always: get a BMW 330 (deisel if possible :brick:) or M3 which is more comfortable, more economical and also reasonably fast.

These guys think there is only one type of driver and that they need to reflect how your average driver will look at an STi, a WR1 or an Evo. They just forget that your average driver will never walk into a Subaru showroom, let alone ask for a drive in a limited edition Impreza. :roll:

Plus... They never quite understand that "grin" factor ! :mad:

Get out driving and keep us posted ! :thumb:
The Swede

Postby WR 1mposter » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:32 pm

Gangsta Smurf wrote:welcome Hoskib!!

2004 Silver BMW 330Ci
2004 Ice Blue WR1
2001 Black Ferrari 360

b) the best car to drive in terms of performance, noise, grin factor, handling and reliability ... again by a long way

The colour is absolultely gorgeous, it sets it apart from every subaru on the road. when you leave it in a car park people go and look at it because of the colour ... they've seen the blue and gold wheels done a thousand times and the WR1 just looks different.

If you want a special car then it cannot be beaten. Take it on the road and it will outperform every subaru it comes up against, take it on a track and it will outperform every car on the track, leave it in a carpark and it will be the best looking car there. Drive it and you will be smiling for hours after you've stopped driving it.

All the above is just my opinion on the matter by the way and you will get differing opinions from everybody on here - which is a good thing. However I've made a point of driving every car that I possibly can on road and track and feel able to substantiate what I say with real life experience. You tend to find a lot of people will talk about how a car handles, looks or performs having never driven, seen or ragged one.

If it did all this for you

Why did you sell??
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby stijoy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:46 pm

A VERY GOOD POINT THERE MARTIN, WHY DID YOU SELL THE BEST CAR THAT YOU EVER OWNED GANGSTA?
stijoy

Postby hoskib » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:05 pm

Gangsta Smurf wrote:welcome Hoskib!!

2004 Silver BMW 330Ci
2004 Ice Blue WR1
2001 Black Ferrari 360

lol! i guess you liked it then gangsta :wink:

can understand the above comments, but here i am thinking of changing what i consider the best car i've owned, whether it'll be for what i think is a better car, we'll have to wait and see! :lol:

alot of good points re: the purchase of a 2005 sti considering the utter bargain that it is at the mo, but i don't know, there's something a bit special with a limited edition that ticks the right boxes (at least for the owner!)
i loved my series McRae when i had that and really liked the fact it was a bit different, gangsta's comments really ring true.

common sense head says go for a may regged 2005 sti but you'll be very limited to colour, but will have full warranty, a nice back up. to be honest if i had the money right now i would go WR1 route as it's just that bit different out the box and i've had my fill with fooking around modding (he says :wink: )

by the way, is that the years these were produced, late 03/early 04?

and another can of worms, the handling/ride seems highly rated of the WR1 but does it keep up the new track/setup/diffs etc of the 05 sti?
i started a thread on scoobynet asking the question but not sure how many WR1 owners posted on that, what are your guys thoughts?

ta:)
hoskib

Postby chris » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:20 pm

[quote="Torrekens"][quote="chris"]
I did the base STi plus WR1 mods when i ordered mine. I recall there being a
chris

Postby Gee Wr1 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:24 pm

hoskib wrote:by the way, is that the years these were produced, late 03/early 04?

All cars are 04 or 54 plates.

hoskib wrote:and another can of worms, the handling/ride seems highly rated of the WR1 but does it keep up the new track/setup/diffs etc of the 05 sti?

WR1 does not have the same front tracking as a '05. The '05 has the same track that the '04 onwards Spec c has. WR1 same track as a '04 STI. Also i'm sure the front diff was changed on the '05 STI. WR1 handling mods were the Prodrive springs & the Prodrive bump stop mod.

hoskib wrote: i started a thread on scoobynet asking the question but not sure how many WR1 owners posted on that.

ta:)

:lol: Don't mention WR1 on Scoobynet you'll only get the same twats dissing it now as when it 1st came out. This is one of the main reasons this site was started :D

Gee
Gee Wr1

Postby The Swede » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:28 pm

Handling can differ significantly indeed.

The WR1 for instance can be a handful on roundabouts, although few members will admit it.

The standard and Prodrive sprung cars are day and night in handling. Some like the 'on rails' feel of the normal suspension, but it does tend to lead to understeer in very sharp corners if you don't throw it (and if you throw it, it's a bitch to drive).

The Prodive springs make the car indefinitely more progressive and more agile. But rob it of its confidence inspiring feel on tarmac.

Try it for your self and see what you like most.
The Swede

Return to General Discussion