Login    Register

06 STi 370 bhp 370 torque

This is the Forum for chat about anything.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro, Moderators

• Author
06 STi 370 bhp 370 torque

Postby danr55 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:59 pm

short bit in this months "Car" magazine, tuned by GGR (graham goode racing) also comes with APs, and 19inch wheels. not sure how much the extra work costs, but looks 8)

how's robocop getting on with his spec-c ?
danr55
Site Owner

Postby bob » Tue May 02, 2006 7:43 pm

See Robocop about quite often.. seems to be really enjoying the spec c. Will be seeing him again this Sunday at a scoob meet in Tormarton near Castle Coombe.
bob

Postby The Swede » Fri May 05, 2006 12:27 pm

hei, Bob, tell Robocop he shouldn't forget to pop in here from time to time.

Would love a few updates on his Spec C.
The Swede

Postby bob » Sat May 06, 2006 2:25 pm

Torrekens wrote:hei, Bob, tell Robocop he shouldn't forget to pop in here from time to time.

Would love a few updates on his Spec C.

Asked on our local forum for an update on the spec C will tell him tomorrow to get on here posting... :wink:
bob

Postby The Swede » Sat May 06, 2006 8:23 pm

Top man ! :ok:
The Swede

Postby Robocop » Sat May 06, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi Guys

Sorry for the lack of posts, but I'm hardly a serial poster at the best of times. :)

The car is going fine. The bhp/torque spread of the engine, coupled with the Spec C's lower gearing really means you don't need to rev the nuts of it. The thing is you do because the sound of the Miltek exhaust borders on orgasmic. :) You can get anyway with staying in 5th or 6th gear all day and it will dispatch most things on the road.

Fuel consumption ranges from 17-23mpg and is pretty good considering. With the smaller fuel tank (weight saving again), you feel better mentally as it's cheaper to fill the tank up. :)

Upon reflection, I think I'd possibily have got the suspension done before the engine upgrade. Why do I say this? Well, it's all well and good having shed loads of power/torque etc, but in my humble opinion the standard springs/bounce/rebound settings of the OE stuff is a bit OTT for the majority of roads we have in this country. I don't know if the Spec C if any different from the "standard" JDM STi (I don't think it is), but the reduced weight could be making things worse.

On a nice smooth surface (they do exist), then it feels great, but since I have to use the "B" roads to avoid the god damm camera vans etc, this has a negative effect. Sure I can press on a bit, but I'm finding that the car does appear to hop and bounce a bit. It's never to the point where you're going to be put through a hedge, but I lack the confidence of driving a more standard eurobox. I've had 2 Seat Leon FR150 TDi for the past year and I think overall that they were more sorted suspension wise(certainly shed loads better on fuel :) ). What I need to do now is save for the AST/T20 setup, but that ain't going to be in the near future :(

Overall a fantastic car and I love it dearly.
Robocop

Postby bob » Sat May 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Nice write up...Had the AST's on the Type R but had track springs a little to hard for the british roads...Would have thought the fast road springs would have been better....
bob

Postby The Swede » Sun May 07, 2006 10:52 am

Nice write up, Robo, and very 8) pics.

I only drove the Spec C with the 12-way adjustable suspension Litchfield put on it and I found it very composed, even when 'pressing on a bit' on b-roads :wink:

Looking at your post, it seems a Spec C is an excellent scoob, but it needs a modified suspension to be perfect.

In fact, considering the Spec C is lighter, it will suffer more from a hard suspension as there is less weight/inertia to 'cushion' the reactions.
It's generally known that it is much easier to make a comfortable suspension on a heavy exec car (e.g. the 1991 Merc S-class) than on a light one (A8, new XJ).

Jap suspension is indeed tuned for smooth tarmac roads. I found even the standard STi Type-UK suspension was too hard for the conditions I drive in here and I had to swap the srpings for the slightly softer Prodrive set-up.

How do you find the Miltek exhaust at low speeds in fact ? I found the one I tried very loud, but I know Litchfield was trying a new set-up.
The Swede

Postby Robocop » Sun May 07, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi Sandy

I find the Miltek quiet almost benign. In fact when I was running it in, the lack of any real exhaust note was boring. I believe there are two silences fitted in the downpipe on the new 3
Robocop

Return to General Discussion