Login    Register

Centre diff control

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Centre diff control

Postby mick c » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:35 am

As I am newish to the WR1. This is the first Scooby with a centre diff control that I have had. As anyone any info on the does and don'ts of this bit of wizardry and the diff lock [can you switch this while moving]. Thanks Mick C.
mick c

Postby stijoy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:26 am

when i had a word with mike wood about the dccd, he says he leaves it in auto, and that is what i have done,
a few people have commented on that they use it, so hopefully you will get some feedback.
stijoy

Postby chris » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:41 pm

Here's a link to the DCCD on the Type R.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=143750

There's no mention of the WR1 on there but it may help you.

Oh and if you're reversing DON'T lock the diff. :!:
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby Gee Wr1 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi Mick,

This question has come up a few times already & i've answered it before, do a search.

The diff can be changed on the move, it can change the torque split to the front/rear diff from 50/50 to 33/66 & any where in between.
Not many say they use it & run it in Auto mode only. In auto mode the car is mainly biased to the rear wheels with the diff ecu deciding when & how much power is sent to the front wheels by what it is sensing. I really don't like this mode at all & the 1st thing i do after turning on ignition is to switch diff to manual. All depends on your driving style & roads you are on. I'm sure it's fine on motorways but nearest motorway is 150miles from us. I find Auto mode can make front end quite snatchy when front diff kicks in, on aroad with bumps & dips(every road up here lol) it can give quite a tug to the steering as it works. I had in auto when i got car at 1st & had a few hairy moments mid corner where the nose of the car suddenly grips more pulling the nose in either direction. Found this happen a few times even crossing the bump of the white lines as i went to overtake!
I run diff in the green open position (Bottom big green square on dash) this position has car rear biased 66% to rear 33% to the front, genrally it makes car handle more like a rear wheel drive car. just watch the back end can be slippy in this mode but allows for more fun & no unwelcome snatches to the front end like Auto.
The thumb wheel has no notches as you turn it, its not a switch it can allow any setting between the 50/50 split & 33/66 split the lights on the dash are to give you an idea of where the diff is positioned. Green being more rear biased & as you turn wheel forwards into orange squares it adds to the front diff, top orange square is 50/50 split but makes car harder to turn in.
You really want to go have a play with it yourself & see what suits your own driving style.

Oh nearly forgot, if you do have the diff in manual & in any position other than bottom green square you will need to turn it back to bottom green(fully open) or auto when you come to any junctions or very sharp turns or you will hear the most horrible metal clonking noise as the diff plates bind against each other & you will SH*T yourself thinking something broke, don't worry no harm done just don't do it to often, we've all done it & sh*t ourselves the 1st time.

Probably rambled on to much but hope it helps :lol:

Gee :D
Gee Wr1

Postby WR 1mposter » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:00 pm

Well said Gee

yes i sh1t myself too :shock:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to Tech Help