Login    Register

Seat Belts

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Seat Belts

Postby POESY » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:40 am

Currently have the interior of my car in my living room :shock: as i'm fitting a set of sabelt harnesses.

Have decided, for some unknown reason, to remove all existing belts front and rear so all seats out - easy to clean :wink: and I found 5p :D

I have 2 problems I need help with though :

First is the evo has a fasten seat belt sign on the dashboard until you buckle up, I guess the scoob is the same, how do I get this to go off ? I had to unplugg the drivers seat when I removed it I guess this has something to do with it ? No such problem with the passenger side.

Secondly last thing last night I unbolted and removed the front seat seatbelt reel - a bolt top and bottom - but also there was an electrical connection which once unplugged put the SRS warning light on on the dashboard. Its the same for both front seats.

I suppose what i'm asking is can these connections be safely bridged to turn of the warning lights without doing any long term damage and if so how would you recommend doing it ?
POESY

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:27 pm

From what I can gather all the kevs
fit these harnesses, and they have the same problem,
local dealer can solve the problem, but won't,
they apparently can turn them off with a ecu/diagnostics check

Is'nt SRS somethg to do with the airbags?
might be wrong

But I do know with the Subaru, there is a wire that can be
disconnected under the seat to stop that annoying alarm

By the way Poesy, i'm not saying your a kev :lol:
I know your a Neil :rofl:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby POESY » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:50 pm

SRS = Seatbelt Restraint System

Airbag begins with an A :roll:

Even us kevs know that !!!
POESY

Postby WR 1mposter » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:52 pm

You got me there :oops: :oops:

but you know what i meant :wink:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Gee Wr1 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm

Why not leave the normal belts in as you'll soon wish you did when you can't reach the stereo or heater controls or the Maccys drive thru restrained by the harnesses :lol:
Good idea a for trackdays but not really practical for round town.
Gee Wr1

Postby POESY » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:59 am

Sabelt harnesses - they allow you to slacken and tighten via the front inertia clamps as you drive without taking them off, just like a seatbelt.

Watch loeb, gronholm etc at the beginning or end of a stage - you'll see what I mean.
POESY

Postby The Swede » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:52 am

:toofunny:

SRS = Supplementary Restraint System !!!

aka AIRBAG !!

Amateurs ! :shake:

Simple, the airbags nowadays have a sensor. If the seat is not occupied, it will not go off.

By unplugging it, you probably upset the system a bit.

I'd advise NOT to tamper with it and just put the seats back like a nice boy after you're done with the new seatbelts.

Airbag systems are a bit like women: they're very sensitive and any wrong move will result in the thing going off. :rofl:
The Swede

Postby POESY » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:05 am

Urr, wrong mate - but good try.

All done, just needed to fit an in-line resistor so that the circuit didnt notice a drop in current and hay-presto the light went off, thanks to PerformancePartsOnLine for that piece of info.

Please refrain from giving me any further advice, because clearly it is a load of crap!!!
POESY

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:27 am

Swede ... I had these harnesses in my WR1 and the airbag system will go off regardless of somebody being in the seat or not - it's set up on impact area not whether someone is sitting in the seat.

Had no problems with the harnesses and they are much much better than seatbelts.

Because they are ACTUAL rally harnesses they can be unlatched and loosened/tightened in seconds ... that the reason I paid nearly
Gangsta Smurf

Postby The Swede » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:13 pm

POESY wrote:Urr, wrong mate - but good try.

All done, just needed to fit an in-line resistor so that the circuit didnt notice a drop in current and hay-presto the light went off, thanks to PerformancePartsOnLine for that piece of info.

Please refrain from giving me any further advice, because clearly it is a load of crap!!!

Yes... as you said: SRS = Seatbelt Restraint System ... And I am the one making mistakes ? Pot & Kettle ...:rofl:

Apologies if I got the guess on what the plug does, wrong.

Can't help it some cars still haven't joined the 21-st century.

My Merc measures how heavy the person in the seat is and adapts the deployment of the airbag accordingly.
The car doesn't appreciate AT ALL unplugging anything there.

But good you sorted it, oh all-wise Bhagwan. :bow: :bow: :bow:
The Swede

Postby stijoy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:31 am

FPMSL at these posts. :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
stijoy

Postby POESY » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:46 am

Torrekens wrote:My Merc measures how heavy the person in the seat is and adapts the deployment of the airbag accordingly.

Who told you that - a car with scales in it, ive heard it all now, FPMSL.

An airbag goes off if you have an accident fella - not if your overweight. Your just making this stuff up now - stop it!!!
POESY

Postby The Swede » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:33 am

:shake:

You have spent too much time on the Lancer-forum with your other buddies of "mine is better than yours", oh all knowing Baghwan Shree Poesy.
Maybe you should once try to get another source for your car knowledge than the Lancer-forum or the bar of your local pub.

Mercedes fit their carseats since 2001 with sensors to 'weigh' the people in it.
If the weight in the passengerseat for instance is below 12 kgs, the airbag will not deploy as it assumes there is a child there and it will cause more harm than good.

Similar, the seatbelt reminder works by detecting occupation of a seat. Which can be a bloody nuisance if you put a heavy bag on the passenger seat without putting the seatbelt on :mad:

The airbags in the new Jaguars and Toyotas for instance deploy gradually depending on the weight of the driver/passenger and his/her size (which is estimated by the position of the seat or by ultrasonic sensors).

Obviously, such technology would be wasted on Evo's as they are driven by a superior kind of people that never put a wheel wrong... and only take their car out on weekend days (if it's sunny). :finger:
Last edited by The Swede on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Swede

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:36 am

come on guys play nice ... perhaps we should agree to disagree on this one.
Gangsta Smurf

Postby The Swede » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:54 am

Don't think we need to disagree.

'Tech help' area might be good to update some people on the latest technology.

Excellent summary on why airbags had to go smart and how it works, try this: (bit US biased though) http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety ... ticle.html

And here are the Baghwan's scales in the car...
http://www.siemensvdo.com/products_solu ... cation.htm
http://www.designnews.com/article/CA159979.html
The Swede

Postby POESY » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:27 am

Where did you get this mine's better than yours from in my text exactly - you really need to stop making things up, it makes you look foolish and insecure. I honestly have absolutely no care in the world whether or not someone is bigger or better than me, none whatsoever - all grown up now fella, happy with what ive got and thats it.

I asked for help, you came up with some crap about being a nice boy and somehow got onto airbags and your mercedes - none of which helped me in any way whatsoever.

Clearly you had, and still have, no idea how to help solve the 2 issues I had - best solution would have been just to keep quite.

Taking the piss out of me and how I choose to use my car is also a bit childish and is a personal attack, you should stop. I dont call you or anyone else names and as its me that pays for my car I can use it as I choose - doesnt mean I'm right or wrong it just is what I choose to do. It gives me the most pleasure and tbh thats what matters, not what you or anyone else thinks.
POESY

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:35 am

no more comments on this please other than answering the initial thread question posted by Poesy.

Otherwise the thread will be deleted.

Cheers
Gangsta Smurf

Postby POESY » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:43 am

Gangsta Smurf wrote:
Otherwise the thread will be deleted.

Probably a good idea matey, i'd be quite happy with that tbh.
POESY

Postby The Swede » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:50 am

I think you're missing the point, Mr POESY.

When trying to point out what the plug under your carseat might be for, you found it necessary to react without being well informed and get personal while at it (and I am being polite).

Read the articles in the links and reconsider your remarks on 'making things up'.
The Swede

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:13 am

ok final warning. No more posts other than on topic or it's gone
Gangsta Smurf

Postby Wheatie » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:26 pm

What was the question again Neil :rofl:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk, because they have to say something.
Wheatie

Postby POESY » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:05 pm

Who knows ??!!

Lets not go there though - ive been warned, on good behaviour now. Well for a while at least :wink:
POESY

Postby WR 1mposter » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:40 pm

Quality thread this :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:34 pm

In fact, when I look at how much weight a few members here are throwing in the balance... it's not a bad thing that scooby's and Evo's don't have those sensors in the seats. :rofl:
The Swede

Postby WR 1mposter » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:41 pm

Torrekens wrote:In fact, when I look at how much weight a few members here are throwing in the balance... it's not a bad thing that scooby's and Evo's don't have those sensors in the seats. :rofl:

Just a shame your merc has no ejector seat :lol:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby The Swede » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:44 pm

WR 1mpostor (aka number 1 moderator) wrote:
Torrekens wrote:In fact, when I look at how much weight a few members here are throwing in the balance... it's not a bad thing that scooby's and Evo's don't have those sensors in the seats. :rofl:

Just a shame your merc has no ejector seat :lol:

I donno. The thing has some many buttons that I didn't get to try all of them yet :rofl:

There is a sunroof, so you never know :wink:
The Swede

Return to Tech Help