Login    Register

MArky Mark,techie zzzzzzzz help please

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
MArky Mark,techie zzzzzzzz help please

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:55 pm

Mark,

Am considering 18" wheels instead of teh 17's,will this change the handling any?

Also going from 235/40 to 235/35 and change in handling?

AND,possible get her lowered 10mm or so or fit new suspension complete,possible adjustables but wont ever adjust em,PMSL!!

Cheers :wink:

The stage is yours...............
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby marky mark » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:03 pm

Bigger wheels (with all other things being equal and rolling radius of tyre staying the same ish) will make it a little crashier over pot holes, and tighten things up in the corners a bit, simply doen to the lower sidewalls.

Dont fully understand the second part of the question? Are you considering the tyre swap on your existing 17"s? This will do the same as above, and also affect your overall gearing and speedo reading.

Dont know what spring option are avaliable for evos to fit on standard shocks, but a full set of coil overs will let you adjust the height from fully slammed to monster truck.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:13 pm

[quote="marky mark"]Bigger wheels (with all other things being equal and rolling radius of tyre staying the same ish) will make it a little crashier over pot holes, and tighten things up in the corners a bit, simply doen to the lower sidewalls.

Cheers

Dont fully understand the second part of the question? Are you considering the tyre swap on your existing 17"s? This will do the same as above, and also affect your overall gearing and speedo reading.

No with the 18's consider a smaller wall for looks,ta

Dont know what spring option are avaliable for evos to fit on standard shocks, but a full set of coil overs will let you adjust the height from fully slammed to monster truck.

Springs dunno either but probably get whole adjustable thing done will be easier in long run i suppose!!

Dont really understand em mate,Just want to lower a few mm to look better,I dont drive quick enough to worry about handling!!
Am i right to assume that if its dropped to the last she will ride very stiff but corner better but only on flat? if there suspension is very hard and theer are ruts/bumps it will skip over them?
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby marky mark » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Rit the 18's and you will have to fit a lower profile tyre most likely, or you will be rubbing arches, so above applies.

Dont forget its width dependant i.e a 225/35/18 will have a taller sidewall and hence larger rolling radius than a 215/35/18

I am sure there will be a set of springs to lower your Evo. This is all that Prodrive did with WR1/P1 to lower them over the standard STi. This is a lot cheaper than shocks, and sounds better suited if you admit to not driving it too hard or you dont want ultimate performance on track.

Lowering it on similarly rated springs will make marginal difference to the ride quality (although you will have slightly less travel), and will corner slightly flatter due to a lower C of G.

Really stiffening up and making it corner with minimal roll will need coilovers, with adjustable damping and ride height etc.

Its all specific, wheel offset as well as the tyre sizes dictate clearances. You would be better asking on the MLR for mitsi specific wheel and tyre combos / springs that suit your needs without clearance issues, unless one of the EVo owners on here can help.

Now feck off and start muppeting somewhere :finger:
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:34 pm

marky mark wrote:Rit the 18's and you will have to fit a lower profile tyre most likely, or you will be rubbing arches, so above applies.

Dont forget its width dependant i.e a 225/35/18 will have a taller sidewall and hence larger rolling radius than a 215/35/18

I am sure there will be a set of springs to lower your Evo. This is all that Prodrive did with WR1/P1 to lower them over the standard STi. This is a lot cheaper than shocks, and sounds better suited if you admit to not driving it too hard or you dont want ultimate performance on track.

Lowering it on similarly rated springs will make marginal difference to the ride quality (although you will have slightly less travel), and will corner slightly flatter due to a lower C of G.

Really stiffening up and making it corner with minimal roll will need coilovers, with adjustable damping and ride height etc.

Its all specific, wheel offset as well as the tyre sizes dictate clearances. You would be better asking on the MLR for mitsi specific wheel and tyre combos / springs that suit your needs without clearance issues, unless one of the EVo owners on here can help.

Now feck off and start muppeting somewhere :finger:

Cheers fukwit!!

Just as I suspected and as POESY told me!!

You know fook all,as you have asked me to ask someone else!!

Such a blagger in your 260 Hp WRX!!

:rofl:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby marky mark » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:37 pm

I know f*ck all thats specific to Mitsis and dont pretend to. Dont need Poesy to tell you that.

You did ask me specifically though, so thought it only right to toss off a bit :rofl:

PI$$ OFF TO THE MLR YOU TOOL. YOU ARE MADE FOR THE PLACE :D
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:46 pm

marky mark wrote:I know f*ck all thats specific to CARS,shemale toys are my forte!! Dont need Poesy to tell you that.

You did ask me specifically though, so thought it only right to toss off a bit :rofl:

PI$$ OFF TO THE MLR YOU TOOL. YOU ARE MADE FOR THE PLACE :D

Ok then one less person for you to send to sle :zzz:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby marky mark » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:53 pm

WR1oc....The only place where you can answer a question asked directly at you and then get abused for it! :lol:
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:59 pm

marky mark wrote:WR1oc....The only place where you can answer a question asked directly at you and then get abused for it! :lol:

Its a beautiful place mate , a beautiful place!! :wink:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby marky mark » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:51 pm

Spike,

This is a good little tool for comparing widths and profiles and giving you alternative sizes.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby The Swede » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:18 pm

Erm... Am I correct in understanding you are trying to get what size of tyres you need to compensate for 18" wheel compared to 17" ?

Simple, if you use same tyre with, you need 235/30. In the 17" case, your wheel diameter will be 52.58cm, in the 18" case (with 235/30 tyres) your diameter will be 52.77cm.

That means at 100mph, on 17", your speedo will only read 99.639mph anymore on 18".

So neglectable difference.

The comes the issue of handling.

Comfort is one. Main area where you lose out by having less flexibility in the system is when you are on small, bumpy roads, especially when it's wet.
Less 'flex' means the wheel absorbs irregularities less well and will stay less well in touch with the road (hence you lose grip and control).

On smooth surface (which I think you drive most on), the stiffer tyres will actually take some of the 'inprecision' out of the handling that is still there with slightly higher tyres of which the walls flex that bit more.

In your case, the judgement will come to looks, I think.
The Swede

Return to Tech Help