CLUTCH

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
CLUTCH

Postby Gixer600 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:59 pm

Hi guys

Was after a little bit of advice.
I have not long had my car and this is my first Subaru. Last car was an R32. Anyway i was in a car park at the weekend which was quite busy. Lots of stop starting and holding the car on the clutch whilst on a ramp a few times.

Anyway eventually got a space and when i got out the smell was awful, believe it was my clutch but it was really strong. Now i am assumin that this is not normal but thought i would check

There have been no other issues regardin the clutch as far as i am aware. Gear changes are fine etc. The car has done 16K.

Hoping someone could help with some advice. Never had a probably with the R32 in those kinda situations and no smell.
Gixer600

Postby danr55 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:10 pm

what scoob do you have? welcome - by the way :wave:

on both the scoobs i had the clutch would only smell if you were really launching the car, so i suspect if this is happening just with normal use in a car park something is wrong...
danr55
Site Owner

Postby Gixer600 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:23 pm

i have a Wr1.

I have never smelt it in traffic. In the car park i was on the ramp a lot holding it on the clutch.
I think there is something wrong although i know bugger all about cars.

Can they check a clutch? I know probably a silly question
Gixer600

Postby chris » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:38 pm

I think they will whiff if you're using them like that. Normally considered a better option to use the handbrake more. :wink:

If you're concerned you could test it yourself. Stick the car in 6th at 20-25mph and put your foot down fully on the throttle. If the revs start to rise fairly quickly and the road speed does go up too quickly then the clutch is slipping.
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby Gixer600 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:46 pm

i suppose its getting used to what u can do in different cars.

The 32 i did loads i guess lazy. just easier to hold it on the clutch.

Car had done 60k and was never replaced.

Will try that test later. At that speed will the car pull or will it just stall?
Gixer600

Postby chris » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:47 pm

From memory it will pull around 1200-1500 rpm but maybe someone on here can confirm?
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby bob » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:54 pm

I would not think you have clutch troubles with the low miles you have unless all its owners have been hard on it or they all let the clutch slip holding on hills.
High gear as boost comes in at about 3.5 4000 this is when the clutch will slip if you have clutch problem rev counter will go round much to quick for the speed you are doing.
Personally I would not think you have a problem with it. Expect its the slipping of holding it on hills that makes it hot and smells. Best use handbrake and clutch will last twice as long... :wink:
bob

Postby Gixer600 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:46 pm

thanks for all your advice

I tried the test on the way home. 6th gear 30mph and no slipping at all

So maybe i just need to change the way i drive. Which is no problem, quite fancy the lazy approach. Stops me getting a bigger left leg anyway

So you think she is ok, she just needs to wash the smelly cow
Gixer600

Postby marky mark » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Anytime that you slip the clutch - I.e the friction plate spins while still in contact with the pressure plate - you have the possibility of it smelling.

You can obviously do this if stuck on car park entrances etc.

Nothing to worry about if it does not slip under normal driving but be aware that you are shortening the life of it by doing this.

Do a full bore traffic light start and they reek!

A Bob says, it will start to slip at the point of peak torque in the higher gears first. Soon as it does this there is no going back and it needs replacing.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Re: CLUTCH

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:59 pm

Gixer600 wrote:Hi guys

Was after a little bit of advice.
I have not long had my car and this is my first Subaru. Last car was an R32. Anyway i was in a car park at the weekend which was quite busy. Lots of stop starting and holding the car on the clutch whilst on a ramp a few times.

Anyway eventually got a space and when i got out the smell was awful, believe it was my clutch but it was really strong. Now i am assumin that this is not normal but thought i would check

There have been no other issues regardin the clutch as far as i am aware. Gear changes are fine etc. The car has done 16K.

Hoping someone could help with some advice. Never had a probably with the R32 in those kinda situations and no smell.

Why are you riding teh clutch in traffic?/

Are you are second female member :lol: :thumb:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby Gixer600 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:04 pm

ridin the clutch in a car park cos it was movin quite quick so the handbrake would be on and off every 20 secs.

:o did not know these clutches were so feeble. Woman or just plain lazy i dont know but one thing i do no the smell was soooo bad it was embarassing. So wont be doin that again
Gixer600

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:47 pm

Gixer600 wrote:ridin the clutch in a car park cos it was movin quite quick so the handbrake would be on and off every 20 secs.

:o did not know these clutches were so feeble. Woman or just plain lazy i dont know but one thing i do no the smell was soooo bad it was embarassing. So wont be doin that again

Hold it at 6.5k and slip it up nice and quick-you'll smell it for about 5miles :lol:
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby Gixer600 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:37 pm

might have to give that one a go

will let u know how i get on

smells for 5 miles inside the car is that?
Gixer600

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:38 pm

Gixer600 wrote:might have to give that one a go

will let u know how i get on

smells for 5 miles inside the car is that?

:norty: yep!!! a sort of burning hair smell!!
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE

Postby mark172_wr1 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:13 am

:shock:

Clutch was fine in september
Type R
mark172_wr1

Return to Tech Help