Login    Register

Brake grind/squeek

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Brake grind/squeek

Postby MonsterWR1 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Had number 490 for 3 weeks from a main dealer and ever since i have had it the brakes squeek on normal braking and sound like they are grinding hard on moderate braking like when your pads are wearing low, but there is no vibration through the vehicle, and pads look healthy, any ideas?

have wondered if the grinding is just the fact i have not had grooved or drilled disc's before. Have been though the service history and no sign of the disc's being changed, currently the car has done 38,000 miles.

should i just go back to the main dealer or is this normal?
MonsterWR1

Postby stijoy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:45 pm

if it was me i would take it back.
stijoy

Postby Mac-1 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:01 pm

You should still have warranty on the car and if you got it from a main Subaru dealer I am sure that they would have checked the breaks anyway. I had similar problem on my WRX a few weeks ago, they looked Ok but they needed new pads. Fitted new pads and no more problem.
Mac-1

Postby WR 1mposter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:50 pm

My original brakes squeakd, then fitted ebc redstuffs pads which made a difference, while waiting for my AP's, but now there fitted with grooved disc, can't say they make a grinding noise under heavy braking, but they do when the car has been parked up for a while, which is due to the disc's rusting with the sea air down here :roll:
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Houdini » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:11 am

Hi Monster, and welcome to the site.

Just a quick question... you mention that you haven't been used to drilled or grooved discs before. Is that what is fitted? If so, that wouldn't be standard Brembo WR1 gear. Do you know what's on the car at the mo'?
Houdini

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:36 pm

I had drilled and grooved on mine matey,

Under heavy brakeing they make a deep whirring noise as the grooves run over the pads-perfectly normal.

I worried about this myself untill I went out with an instructor and he assured me its perfectly normal on grooved.

As Imposter I also had the EBC redstuffs and they would occassionally squeek but it came and went.
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Postby The Swede » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:37 am

The whirring is the same as I get with the brakes of the Mitsi.

Anything more doesn't sound very normal though.

Any dirty stuck in the perforations ?

Or are they just lightly warped ? You don't need a lot for the brakes to make funny noises.
The Swede

Postby MonsterWR1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:46 pm

Think you guy's are right, it is a whirring noise rather than grinding, and the disc's are def drill and grooved, dont know the make. its hard to explain a noise as a word some times, so i think whirring is suited well.
MonsterWR1

Return to Tech Help