Login    Register

STI PPP QUESTION

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
STI PPP QUESTION

Postby Wheatie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:34 pm

In the Subaru accessories catalogue on the performance pack page it states under key features ' To fully benefit from the extra torque levels available, fitment of 18" wheels and tyres are recomended'

:?:

Why would that be if the rolling circumference becomes the same because of lower profile tyres :?:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk, because they have to say something.
Wheatie

Postby chris » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:46 pm

It's to get you to spend more money! :wink:
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Postby Wheatie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:52 pm

Nice one chriss you are probably right but they do look damn goooooooood!! drool!! :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk, because they have to say something.
Wheatie

Postby WR 1mposter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:57 pm

STI 8 with PPP and 18' only managed 282bhp on rolling road yesterday
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Postby Wheatie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:01 pm

And subaru quote 305ps?

But i think the ps figures and bhp aren't the same
Wheatie

Postby D3ave » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:03 pm

chris's scooby wrote:It's to get you to spend more money! :wink:

Most likely right, mine used to tramline bad when applying power from a junction whilst wheels are in lock.
It was said 18s would cure this but the Bridgstones were also blamed. not had the problem on the 1.

D3ave
D3ave

Postby Wheatie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:07 pm

How u doin d3ave, ordered brand spanking new sti c/w free ppp instead of the WR1 and i have gone for the 18" wheels.
Wheatie

Postby jaycee » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:30 pm

The rolling circumference is nearly the same but the sidewall of the tyre is smaller hence less flex when turning in, makes the car more stable and improves cornering.
jaycee

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:45 pm

Thanks for clearing that one up oracle jaycee
Wheatie

Postby stijoy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:40 pm

all this mucking about, you could have had all this if you had bought a 1, you will need the springs and prodrive bump stops as well, on your 05 sti ppp :roll:
stijoy

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:52 pm

stijoy wrote:all this mucking about, you could have had all this if you had bought a 1, you will need the springs and prodrive bump stops as well, on your 05 sti ppp :roll:

Good point.
In six months time i bet your mod costs and depreciation are more than a set of new tyres for a 1 ( that was one of your concerns about the car )
There are some 1s for sale in blody good condition.
Joseph
Joe

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:59 pm

You are both probably right, like i said it was a difficult decision to make and i hope i have made the right one.
And at the end of the day i am quite enjoying messing about with the order for my new motor. What next quick shift?
Wheatie

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:03 pm

Possibly not mate, remember we own a 1 so we are more for than against. Feck it its your desision, make it stand by it.
Joseph
Joe

Postby stijoy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:05 pm

i hope its not a case of i told you so a bit later, are you going down the jaycee mod route :cuckoo: that will be a bit to add on to your extra list.
stijoy

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:09 pm

Yes iv'e heard you guy are struggling to keep up with the mod king :lol:
Wheatie

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:11 pm

I meant guys sh1t i can not type to save my life and this keyboord is dislecsick
Wheatie

Postby stijoy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:14 pm

yeh all his trouble would be a right blast :rofl:
stijoy

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:19 pm

stijoy wrote:yeh all his trouble would be a right blast :rofl:
I have heard alot of people on here ' mucking about ' with their 1's, Why bother if they are so kin good.
Wheatie

Postby stijoy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:27 pm

jasons is a 04 sti.
stijoy

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:29 pm

:?: your point being :?:
Wheatie

Postby stijoy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:40 pm

the car that you are getting is an awesome car, with the ppp even better, the bigger wheels will be a lot better, and i would recommend the prodrive springs, these will give you even better cornering,and if you decide to get even more ponies, there are a lot of people on here who have great contacts. :wink:
stijoy

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:53 pm

Thanks stijoy can't wait to get the beast from the dealers and i might see you at the next yorkshire rally :D
Wheatie

Postby D3ave » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:02 pm

Wheatie wrote:
stijoy wrote:yeh all his trouble would be a right blast :rofl:
I have heard alot of people on here ' mucking about ' with their 1's, Why bother if they are so kin good.

Hi Rich,
I think whatever or which ever model you get, you will always be looking for that little bit more or extra something, its never ending.
Adictive even,

Give the car a blast to Whitby for the fish and chip meet, IF they ever decide on a date. :lol:

Dave
D3ave

Postby stijoy » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:04 pm

i will put some dates down tomorrow dave :wink:
stijoy

Postby Wheatie » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:13 pm

Sounds good to me d3ave, i am a bit partial to some good old fish and chips as long as i can have some scraps with mine.
Wheatie

Postby jaycee » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:46 am

Pay no attention to them Rich!
With the improved 05 suspension set-up I think you'll find it handles better than a WR1 anyway. The front wheels have been moved further forward to reduce the overhang and eliminate understeer. With the PPP fitted you'll have a car which will hold it's own against any car on here excluding Chris B's.

I will get round to your house and show you the full de-cat etc.... :thumb:
jaycee

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:17 am

handling and sideways response is an over-used argument as 95% of people that own subarus can't and don't drive them properly anyway. So when they pull out the argument about better suspension and less bodyroll it's more just a statistic than something they've actually felt from the car.

Having being taken out in my car by someone that can actually drive I now see how what I do in it scratches the edges of it's capabilities. IMO the 05Sti, SpecC, Type 25 are all hugely similar when put on a track in the hands of the regualr driver. These cars don't completely anihilate (apologies for spelling) each other and at the finish line will all come across very close.

My point being I bought the WR1 because of a) the colour, b) it was a special edition and I've always wanted to own a special edition motor and c) the general look of the car.

If the WR1 hadn't of come out I would have been in a regular STi because, to be honest, they are all pretty much the same car and none of us can really tell the difference if we are painfully honest (drive wise, not look/colour etc.)
Gangsta Smurf

Postby jaycee » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:41 am

gangsta smurf wrote:handling and sideways response is an over-used argument as 95% of people that own subarus can't and don't drive them properly anyway. So when they pull out the argument about better suspension and less bodyroll it's more just a statistic than something they've actually felt from the car.

Having changed my STI from standard wheels and suspension to 18's and Prodrive springs and bumpstops I can say, hand on heart, you can feel a massive difference.
Entry speeds into corners are increased and stability through the corner improves. There is less "skipping about" over bumpy surfaces and the car feels safer to drive at higher speeds.

gangsta smurf wrote:Having being taken out in my car by someone that can actually drive I now see how what I do in it scratches the edges of it's capabilities. IMO the 05Sti, SpecC, Type 25 are all hugely similar when put on a track in the hands of the regualr driver. These cars don't completely anihilate (apologies for spelling) each other and at the finish line will all come across very close.

That's because they all run the same suspension set-up. I imagine they would cross the line in reverse order you typed them. Fit the PPP to the STI and it would probably beat the Spec C. (assuming identical driver ability)

gangsta smurf wrote:My point being I bought the WR1 because of a) the colour, b) it was a special edition and I've always wanted to own a special edition motor and c) the general look of the car.

Fair points Rob.

gangsta smurf wrote:If the WR1 hadn't of come out I would have been in a regular STi because, to be honest, they are all pretty much the same car and none of us can really tell the difference if we are painfully honest (drive wise, not look/colour etc.)

Speak for yourself! :mrgreen:
jaycee

Postby Gangsta Smurf » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:03 pm

all in my opinion of course matey .... which as you know I don't keep bottled up :wink: 8)

I've driven pretty much all the top scoobs bar the T25 and I really feel that I can say they don't wildly differ from each other one bit.

I mean the new STi PPP with the wider rear end feels exactly the same as the old STi PPP and the STi PPP before that and the STi PPP before that. But on paper people float it like they are chalk and cheese. "Oh the new STi is better than the old STi becase the wider rear end blah blah blah" No they actually are the same car!!!

I was given a new STi as a courtesy car and it didn't feel different to the WR1 by much at all. Maybe a slight acceleration difference due to 267bhp vrs 320bhp but even that was minimal. Adjustable diff is funny because nobody really knows how to use it properly nor would they probably unless doing crazy donuts! :wink:

Just feel that the arguments over which cars 'does' which or justifications for buying one vrs the other is overused.

If you don't like Ice blue then don't by a WR1, it drives exactly like an STi PPP but has a little bit more prestige in owenership. Nothing more!

If you don't want a stripped out track car with minimal comforts don't buy a Spec C. It's day to day drive is virtually the same as the WR1 and the STi PPP but it performs better on track.

If you want reliability and a proper warranty don't by a Type 25. It feels similar to the WR1 and STiPPP but has a bigger engine for you to show off to your mates. But when it goes bang after 2 years your fooked! It also is more of a track car. But is also a modified import!

All IMHO of course! 8)
Gangsta Smurf

Postby jaycee » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:35 pm

I can't be arsed to quote all that! :rofl:
Suffice to say we're all entitled to our own opinions, even if yours are wrong! :toofunny:
jaycee

Next

Return to Tech Help