Login    Register

Wr1 juddering on full lock, dccd?!

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Wr1 juddering on full lock, dccd?!

Postby W1 KRB » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:33 am

Hi all, being new to the wr1 (only had it 2 weeks) coming from a 2003 sti with no dccd, I've noticed when I'm moving and the car is on full lock the steering wheel Judders and it feels like there is something wrong with the steering/suspension, I've heard it mentioned that the dccd can be the cause of this when it's in auto (as it has been every time this has occured) any experience/ views on this would be most welcome thanks!
W1 KRB

Postby Megaman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Hiya,

Well in automode it should be fine. I would suggest putting DCCD to manual and moving the wheel to fully open, bottom green light on the dash and trying a tight turn.

Never put the DCCD on full locked mode when going very slowly as that puts a lot of strain on the drive train and can damage things. Its more of a snow mode :)

cheers
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby CAVEMAN » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 pm

The DCCD is exactly what is says on the tin. A Driver Controlled Centre Differential...

That is to say it acts as any normal centre diff would (albeit to its specific mapping) but you can select..it is a hybrid of a normal planetary style diff with a 65/35 split and a limited slip diff with presets selectable by you.

the default is auto, where the electronics will adjust itself.

if you feel the need to put it into a certain mode (from full lock to open) then you can do that too.

The noise you are refering to is the reaction to the lock and the diff/clutch slipping. Means you probably have it too locked and turning in a tight circle so the wheels are turning at totally different speeds.

Its all about torque distribution through the 2 configurations of diff in the DCCD unit and how it handles this. There has been lots of posts about how to use it for a given road condition and there is lots of info on the web about dccd's too.

Best bet is to leave in auto until you feel comfortable - you can use it in locked going slow - just don't go turning tight circles with it.
CAVEMAN

Postby W1 KRB » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Wow, most of that went straight over this heating engineers head lol, so we think there isn't anything wrong with the car and this would be normal to be happening when in auto?!
W1 KRB

Postby chiroman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:53 pm

In Auto shouldn't get juddering but can get it when not in Auto. The default setting at start up is Auto. If I've been out driving with DCCD set to manual and one light up from bottom on dash and then turn into my drive it will judder a bit but resetting to Auto stops that.
chiroman

Postby grahampesking » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Ive had the same thing , they tightened the steering belt (if thats the correct name for it ) and that was it , dont know if it would be the same thing :?
grahampesking

Postby Steveyk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:25 pm

A locking diff basically works by sensing a difference in wheel speeds, and then starts to lock by varying degrees to prevent wheelslip. When you turn on full lock the outside wheels are rotating a fair bit faster than the inside ones. The diff is just doing it's job.

I did have a lot of trouble when I bought mine with the diff, but that turned out to be because the back tyres were worn out and the front ones were new.
There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
Steveyk

Postby Megaman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Yer but bottom line is your car shouldnt be grinding or juddering when in auto dccd mode and turning tight circles. Could be something else but to test like i said above switch to manual and fully open mode and that shouldnt judder at all.
Megaman
Fords Number 1 Fan

Postby W1 KRB » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:45 pm

Thanks I will try that next time im out in it, it's had new tyres and 4 wheel alignment since I got it, any thoughts on why else could be the possible problem?! Cv joints?
W1 KRB

Postby SPIKE LIKE MIKE » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 pm

Just adding my 2 p worth but most of them get a grinding rumble when on full lock in auto while going slow - its not unusual.

Also and even more so when in auto in reverse with full lok.

When turning/revering at low speed just take it out of auto and pull it backwards so light in green and at bottom.

:thumb:

Happened in my 1 occasionally but lots in the new sti.....lots of advice on scoobynet its normal
Crash bang wollop!!
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
"Special Needs" constable

Return to Tech Help