Login    Register

Grinding noise?

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Grinding noise?

Postby Gary75 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Cars been parked up for three weeks no faults knocks bangs or grinding noise when last used. Went for a drive Saturday and noticed a grinding noise when Corning left or right. Initially thought it was coming from the front, but noise or grind is more evident on near side rear. Sounds like brake back plate rubbing or small stone trapped? The car is perfect in a straight line no noises

I have stripped back brakes removed discs to checked if handbrake shoes faulty or sticking, we're slightly over adjusted so assumed this was the cause, adjusted shoes, cleaned and assembled components grinding noise still there on test drive. Stripped front brakes all fine. All bearings checked, no free play or roughness, but the weight of the car when cornering could have an effect ie movement? I have applied both foot brake and handbrake to see if that would eliminate the noise or change the tone which had no effect.

I have checked wheel arch liners, heat shields, drive shafts, prop shaft anything that could catch moving parts when in rotation also checked shafts for excess movement, centre prop bearing.

Anyone had this problem?
Gary75

Postby Bonovox » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Maybe nothing to do with this but If it's more of a creaking than a grinding this might help you :?:

forum/viewtopic.php?t=13975
Bonovox

Postby Gary75 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Bonovox wrote:Maybe nothing to do with this but If it's more of a creaking than a grinding this might help you :?:

forum/viewtopic.php?t=13975

Thanks but it's definatly metal to metal scraping noise, when turning or cornering only, car runs fine in a straight line, no bearing noises etc?
Gary75

Postby Smasher » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi gary see my recently answered own topic exactly what i had, it is the brake disc protector, mine is now noise free!!
WR1 all the way!!
Smasher

Postby Gary75 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Smasher wrote:Hi gary see my recently answered own topic exactly what i had, it is the brake disc protector, mine is now noise free!!

Yes I have stripped again and found where the rear disc is touching the inner back plate where the shoes are protected by inner lip, just under the adjuster on both sides. The disc inner lip is slightly proud of the disc surface, according to some forums when Subaru fit new discs they grind the lip on the disc down so as to not rub the inner back plate? Fresh shavings also evident on abs sensor and top of pads when disc removed.

I have spent all weekend on this and the car is now on axle stands as I haven't got a bloody grinding disc :x

Why didn't I spot this on the first strip down????

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1269334

Have a look at this, exactly my problem, hope this helps.
Gary75

Postby Gary75 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 am

Job done.... no more noise.
Gary75

Postby SteveS » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Happy days, you can now hear the true sound of your 1 :woohoo:
SteveS

Return to Tech Help