Login    Register
  • Author
My car is running rich, under boosting & under powered!

Postby Andy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:37 pm

I've now had the car two glorious weeks BUT in the last few days the car feels like it's been under boosting. Full throttle behaviour has felt right down and the engine hasn't been sounding as sweet as it should have been.

Scottish Scoobies had a rolling road day yesterday so I took it along to see what's what. Not good news but it could be worse :?

Everyone was getting 2 power runs, I got 6! :shock: First run went pretty well and although it only got 306bhp | 295ft/lb the car behaved itself. 2nd and 3rd runs it dropped 8psi of boost and would not correct itself. The engine was switched off and restarted and the boost went back up a little but it still only managed 301 & 302bhp. The air/fuel mixture is 10.5 so its running way too rich.

So my question is, is it worth taking the car back to Subaru and greeting about it? If the car was oly 5-8hp off I wouldn't bother but the way the ECU is fiddling the boost is giving me cause for concern :( Any ideas/tips/previous cases would be gratefully appreciated :D

Cheers folks

Andrew
Andy

Postby stijoy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:15 pm

sounds like you need to take it back to the garage andrew, there are a few members that are very technical and i am sure when they see this will be able to help.
stijoy

Postby Scooby Lee » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:14 pm

'We' will need a few more specific technical details before any useful diagnosis can be made!

i.e. At what revs the peaks were reached and what specific boost levels were indicated etc etc...

Do you have any 'Curves'?
Sold out and bought an EVO......then sold it because it was rubbish!
Scooby Lee

Postby Andy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:13 am

I'll scan the dyno sheet tomorrow :)

I phoned the dealer this afternoon (Sunday) and they aren't happy about it so they will arrange tomorrow to have the car uplifted from my work and taken away until it's fixed :shock: :D
Andy

Postby marky mark » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:37 am

yes, As Lee says graphs would be useful - if you were on a dyno dynamics set up you should have graphs with boost and Lambda (AFR) on as well.

If you can put them up of the good and bad runs :wink:
If JP is Roland Rat, them I am Errol the Hamster... His number 1 fan.
marky mark
JPs little helper

Postby The Swede » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:11 am

Did you try resetting the ECU, Andrew ? Fairly easy to do yourself.
The Swede

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Sorry for not getting the graph up, just haven't had the chance :oops:

The car was in the dealer today and they took it out with the diagnostics gear on board. The manifold pressures were lower than they should be, the ECU was reset and all codes removed, test again and back within tolerance :D

As the car has not been driven hard by the previous owner the garage are going to replace the plugs at the 25k power check for free. Car is now behaving and I'm a happy boy 8)
Andy

Postby chris » Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:04 pm

Glad to hear it's being sorted for you. :thumb:
Too petty to be a traffic warden...
chris

Return to Tech Help