Login    Register

Cornering question

Ask your technical questions here.

Moderators: WR 1mposter, The Swede, Megaman, danr55, WR1 Bro

• Author
Cornering question

Postby Norm » Sun May 13, 2007 8:20 pm

I picked up #130 a few weeks ago and wondered if anyone could help with a newbie question.
I find that when I am accelerating in a corner and lift off the power the car will turn in without any adjustment on the steering. I have spoken with a few people who think it is a characteristic of the LSD's. I am used to Scoobys without LSD's and find this a little strange. Is it sometning that I just need to get used to or is there something a miss?
Norm

Postby chiroman » Sun May 13, 2007 9:04 pm

I get this as well and was a bit disappointed at first thinking the Impreza would be vice free.

Had 1st Impreza 318 since Oct 06 and was a bit alarmed at first but brain has adjusted a bit now and don't notice it as much.

Believe this is called lift off oversteer and now use it going into tight corners. My old 2.6 vectra needed a similar technique to get it to turn in but that's another story.

The worst was when in a real hurry to get to Enfield Hospital last Dec. Powering past half a dozen cars but hesitated on throttle when flat in 4th. The car instantly jumped about a foot to the right but I floored it and carried on in the night feeling lucky.

I have arrived at the conclusion that I need to try the car on track some where with a bit of pro input to help things along.

I was recently working with a guy who had owned 911's for many years, had bought a Porsche GT3 and he noticed the same characteristic, also car very sensitive to steering input always have to be in control of it.

Is there a cure for this lift off thing?

Mike
chiroman

Postby WR 1mposter » Sun May 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Get the Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars and there anti-lift kit
plus a geometry set up aswell.

This may help your problem.
2007 BMW M5
2004 Petter Solberg STi
WR 1mposter

Return to Tech Help